Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'll Be There



This clip from Director John Ford's 1940 Grapes of Wrath still resonates. Tom Joad's goodbye speech. Different time. Same sentiment.
You know what I've been thinkin' about?
'bout Casey. 'bout what he said, what he done.
'bout how he died. And I remember all of it.
I've been thinking about us too.
'bout our people livin' like pigs and good rich land layin' fallow.
With maybe one guy with a million acres
and a hundred thousand farmers starvin.'
And' I been wonderin' if all our folkses got together and yelled ...

Maybe it's like Casey says. Fellow ain't got a soul of his own.
Just a little piece of a big soul.
The one big soul that belongs to everybody.
I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere.
Wherever you can look.
Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there.
Wherever there's a cop beating up a guy, I'll be there.
I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad.
I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry
and they know supper's ready.
And when people are eatin' the stuff they raise,
Livin' in the houses they build, I'll be there too.

No comments: